WindowMizer Accessibility Bug

Discuss problems, bugs or feature requests for WindowMizer version 4.x.
RTouris

Re: WindowMizer 4.4 Accessibility Bug

Post by RTouris »

Hm...having v.4.4 installed on my daily driver while at the same time being unable to roll back due to the nature of one of the bugs I can't say that i don't feel a bit dissapointed by the time that this is taking for patching up, let alone the lack of updates...

...just a reminder; we're now within one month since the update came out with no apparent solution or patch in sight, despite the dev claiming otherwise (missed the 'over-the-weekend-patch-release twice already) :/

I get that this is possibly a one-man show and that patience is a virtue and all the rest, but given the circumstances I'm sorry for the rant but hey, this is getting ridiculous!

rgbworld
Site Admin

Post by rgbworld »

I suggest updating to WindowMizer 4.4.1 before downgrading to 4.3.1.

An alternative to the issue with 3 or more displays would be to set the window handling preference setting to "Minimize to Dock" and allow animations to show. IMO this mode is just as fast as "Move Off-screen" and will work regardless of the number of displays. The only thing lost would be the window-shade effect.

WindowMizer Version 4.3.1 can be downloaded here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33

Note that if you downgrade, you will have to reapply the Accessibility patch when you upgrade to version 4.4.x.

rgbworld
Site Admin

Post by rgbworld »

Yes.

The Accessibility bug/issue only pertains to OS 10.9 - 10.12.

It is not necessary on OS 10.6 through 10.8

jimapp733

Post by jimapp733 »

I had the problem after installing the update, which would not let me authorize permission for WindowMizer, untick, or remove it from the permissions box. what I did was to uninstall Window Mizer completely and restart my Mac which removed WindowMizer from the permissions box, then I installed the updated download and put in the original activation code and it let me tick it in the permissions box and now it works fine.

wshade

Post by wshade »

Cant seem to get the patch to write so windowmizer not working. os 10.12.1 WM v4.4.2 I just upated from Ver 2.1and I had managed to get as far as checking the box in privacy before updating.

what next I tried deleting app and reinstalling to no avail. What's next?
Attachments
WM3.jpg
WM3.jpg (69.8 KiB) Viewed 135076 times
WM2.jpg
WM2.jpg (80.55 KiB) Viewed 135076 times
WM1.jpg
WM1.jpg (40.83 KiB) Viewed 135076 times

NaRobb

Post by NaRobb »

This has not worked for me.I have downloaded the WindowMizer Accessibility Patch. I type in my Administrator password - & nothing happens. I've tried dragging the WindowMizer icon into the Accessibility window in Systems Preferences. I can click on WindowMizer to activate it. But I still cannot minimize a window. HELP!!!

m_reich

Post by m_reich »

Nothing is working with WindowMizer under Sierra - I have installed V. 4.4.2 and get prompted to grant accessibility. I see that the app is already listed and checked and can't be deleted. I ran the patch app and get an error message about attempting to write to a read-only database. I get the same message when executing the patch command from the command line. What can be done next to fix this problem?

rgbworld
Site Admin

Post by rgbworld »

If you have upgrade to OS 10.12 Sierra before updating WindowMizer to version 4.4.x, then the AccessibilityPatch.app will return a message stating that you "cannot write to a read-only database".

This error is due to the new SIP (System Integrity Protection) enhancements on Sierra. To work around the issue, you must temporarily disable SIP, run the WindowMizerPatch.app, then turn SIP back on. These are the steps required:
  1. Restart into Recovery mode.
    Select Restart from Menu. Upon hearing the chime, press and hold the command + R buttons.
  2. At the macOS Utilities screen, select Utilities > Terminal from the menu bar.
  3. In the Terminal window enter the following (then press enter).

Code: Select all

csrutil disable
    A message should appear that states SIP has been disabled.
  4. Restart normally.
  5. Run WindowMizerAccessibilityPatch.app
  6. Restart into Recovery Mode again (Repeat Step 1 and 2)
  7. This time in Terminal, enter the following:

Code: Select all

csrutil enable
  8. Restart normally.
You should now be able to Launch WindowMizer and add it to System Preferences > Security & Privacy panel. The checkbox next to WindowMizer in the list should also now work.

Hope that helps and thanks for taking these extra steps to keep WindowMizer working on your system. I know it's inconvenient, but it is the only way to resolve the issue – if you upgraded to Sierra before updating WindowMizer to version 4.4.x

If you have not yet upgraded to WM 4.4.x, it would be best to do so before updating your OS to Sierra.

Toccy

Post by Toccy »

jimapp733 wrote:I had the problem after installing the update, which would not let me authorize permission for WindowMizer, untick, or remove it from the permissions box. what I did was to uninstall Window Mizer completely and restart my Mac which removed WindowMizer from the permissions box, then I installed the updated download and put in the original activation code and it let me tick it in the permissions box and now it works fine.
How, please does one completely uninstall WindowMizer; what do I need to find & remove such that a restart will dump any reference to WindowMiser from the Accessibility Permissions Box?

TIA
Toccy

rgbworld
Site Admin

Post by rgbworld »

To Uninstall WindowMizer, see this forum post:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=673

Ultimately, in order to Forcibly Remove WindowMizer from the Security & Privacy preference panel, you will need to run the WindowMizerAccessibilityPatch.app located on the first page of this forum.