Problems with multiple displays

Discuss problems, bugs or feature requests for WindowMizer version 4.x.
moppel33

Re: Problems with multiple displays

Post by moppel33 »

@RGBWorld Thank you for the update to 4.4.1 but now I see a copy of the collapsed window (but this window is not minimized) on my main screen if I minimize the window on my left or right screen. - I am sorry but I cannot use this version anymore.

RTouris

Post by RTouris »

I always find it a good practice resetting prefs to defaults and re-configuring when a new WindowMizer versions comes along...did you try going down this route?

rgbworld
Site Admin

Post by rgbworld »

moppel33 wrote:@RGBWorld Thank you for the update to 4.4.1 but now I see a copy of the collapsed window (but this window is not minimized) on my main screen if I minimize the window on my left or right screen. - I am sorry but I cannot use this version anymore.
I had to first resolve the issues with 2 displays. I am now concentrating on handling 3+ displays.

If you change the Window Handling destination to "Minimize to Dock", it should work no matter how many displays you have. "Minimize to Dock" is a slower method, but if you do not try to hide animations, it is pretty snappy but loses the "window-shade" effect. That means that you will see the window animation as a window traverses to the dock.

The only way I can think of to allow using the faster "Move Off-Screen" window handling with 3 or more displays is to provide yet another preference panel allowing you to choose where to move "offscreen" windows.

This is a screen-grab of the concept...
WM multi-display concept.png
WM multi-display concept.png (49.56 KiB) Viewed 48443 times
Opinions of the concept and any other feedback is always welcome.

rgbworld
Site Admin

Post by rgbworld »

Hi everyone,
I apologize for the delay in some of my responses, but I have had my blinders on while I spend every free moment of every day trying to resolve issues and reply to enquiries. I am only a single person team with a day job, so I am doing as best as I can to keep up. I understand your frustration and thank you for your concern about whether I am alive or not :-) I am!

I have fixed the faster "Move Off-Screen" window handling mode for 2 displays. I am now going to concentrate on fixing "Move Off-Screen" when a system has 3 or more displays. A screen grab of my concept is above.

Although I believe my concept will work, there will remain an issue with Exposé. The issue is that windows shown in Spaces will show on the display where the window has been moved to - which in some cases will not be the display that the original window was on.

The only alternative is to use "Minimize to Dock" window handling and allow the animations to show.

rgbworld
Site Admin

Post by rgbworld »

@mattrj I will certainly accept any help. Please contact me using the Contact form and we can start a dialog.

FYI, the only reason I do not open-source this project is that I use the little income it generates to help offset the cost of maintaining it. I often think I would be better to abandon this project and work on something that I can control rather than attempting to control all other application windows. It is a daunting task but I am an optimist, so I feel certain that all issues can be resolved to some satisfaction.

Also, I use WindowMizer every day and I do not want to be without it just like everyone else. Because I am always making changes, it is rare for me to be able to just "use" WindowMizer. However, I do think that with 4.4.1 I am close to having a well-working, stable version.

DeFliGra

Post by DeFliGra »

Version 4.4.1 handles multi displays (3) worse than 4.4.0. I'll downgrade for now.
On 4.4.0 I it was a matter og switching the main screen (menu) to the right display.

4.4.1 minimizes windows okay on center (main) screen.
Windows on right screen are minimized ok but window pops up on main screen.
Windows on left screen are minimized okay but window pops up on main screen.

Maybe – if possible – windows that needs to be hidden shouldn't be pushed left or right but below or above... if possible. Few people have a 27" screen turned 90° (of course I do every now and then).

Good luck trouble shooting.

Best | DeFligra | http://www.defligra.com
Mac'O'Holic | Stack'O'Holic | Web'O'Holic

DeFliGra

Post by DeFliGra »

One more thing... admit – I didn't read all post in this thread. My mistake...

If 'Destination of original window' in the 'Advanced' window is wet to 'Minimize to Dock' > Minimizing windows will work with all monitors... with a short delay.

I know it's a tough job dealing with the Mac OS X finder... there's a reason why other developers have given up on the WindowShading. And problems probably won't be less... with new Mac OS coming every year.

I'll stick with 4.4.1 and the delay. Thx for the fix.

Best | DeFligra | www.defligra.com
Mac'O'Holic | Stack'O'Holic | Web'O'Holic

mattrj

Post by mattrj »

Hey @DeFliGra -- will post a quick reply since @rgbworld seems pretty busy in his day job and I've been trying to help him a bit offline with the multi-display issues.

I've come to agree with @rgbworld that the multi-display setup is a really tricky problem (I also have three displays). If you are not already aware of how WindowMizer works its magic (when you're not using the "Minimize to Dock" option), it basically moves the window way way over to a corner of the screen (just as if you'd dragged it there yourself with the mouse) so that only a little tiny bit is still visible and the rest is all offscreen in never-never land. Unless you want to minimize to dock, that's about the limit of what Apple lets you do with other applications' windows.

This gets tricky with multi-display setups though, because simple assumptions that work fine on single displays (e.g., always move windows to the bottom-right corner of the screen) may not work on many multi-display arrangements. And when you have 3+ displays, all of which might be different sizes, there are a LOT of possible arrangements, and if you don't guess right about where to move a window, it can spill over onto another display instead of going to the corner of the intended display (with the rest hanging off into never-never land).

There is basically no perfect solution that is guaranteed to work in all cases -- pretty much anything is going to involve some minor compromise. But I know @rgbworld is working on a fix that gives you a bit more flexibility and should hopefully involve fewer weird behaviors.

In the meantime, personally I also just use the "Minimize to Dock" option -- the small delay doesn't bother me.

(PS, @rgbworld -- when you get done with this annoyance, remind me to email you about another one involving thumbnail tiling. Although I think I might be able to fix that one on my own and send it to you...)

BradMacPro

Post by BradMacPro »

I got a multiple displays problem you wouldn't believe. Running Mac OS X 10.6.8 on 17" MacBook Pro with external large display, the main one with the menu bar, on the right, relative to the MacBook Pro. With a window like Microsoft Entourage's on the MacBook Pro internal display, the shift key is intermittent for typing text. No capitals or exclamation marks. If the window is moved to the main display, it works fine. Really weird. So living without WindowMizer 4.4.1. The old WindowShade X didn't do this.

rgbworld
Site Admin

Post by rgbworld »

Hey guys. Thanks for your patience.

I plan to release WindowMizer 4.4.2 tonight by Friday. It should now work on multiple-displays regardless of the arrangement of those displays. There is a new WindowMizer preference panel for configuring Displays. The settings may need to be manually adjusted for differing arrangements, but it does give total control of where to position offscreen windows.

@BradMacPro I have been testing WM 4.4.2 on OS 10.6.8 on my 17" MacBookPro and I did fix some issues, so hopefully the update will help resolve this weird no-shift-key issue.

I am a little surprised that the shift key working or not-working would have anything to do with WindowMizer, but I guess anything is possible. When you say that "With a window like Microsoft Entourage's on the MacBook Pro internal display, the shift key is intermittent for typing text.", does it matter if the Entourage window is collapsed or not?

I will do I quick test of this tonight and see if I can reproduce the issue. If it's not fixed in 4.4.2 (coming asap), please email me or open a new thread and I'll look into it asap.