New Doc behavior with WM4.4

Discuss problems, bugs or feature requests for WindowMizer version 4.x.
Good stuff

New Doc behavior with WM4.4

Post by Good stuff »

Having now worked through the Accessibility problems, I'm running WM 4.4 on two 10.10.5 machines.

Dock behavior has changed and I don't see anything in WM prefs that explains it.

Previous behavior: when clicking on Dock icons for some apps (Fireflx, Safari and Postbox so far), if a window was already open, the app previously active window would be selected upon switching. If no window was previously open and its Dock icon was clicked, the app would be switched to AND a new window would open.

v4.4 behavior: No change if a window was already open. However, if no window was open when an app was switched to, the app is switched to and NO new window is opened. However, double-clicking on the Dock icon when switching produces the old behavior (which is really what I want): Safari and Firefox open new browser windows and Postbox opens to the Mailbox view.

Note that the new behavior mirrors what happens with the App Switcher (Cmd-Tab).

Is this expected, or am I missing something, or is there a new (or squashed) bug?

rgbworld
Site Admin

Re: New Doc behavior with WM4.4

Post by rgbworld »

v4.4 behavior: No change if a window was already open. However, if no window was open when an app was switched to, the app is switched to and NO new window is opened. However, double-clicking on the Dock icon when switching produces the old behavior (which is really what I want): Safari and Firefox open new browser windows and Postbox opens to the Mailbox view.
This was at least partially an intentional change. The old behavior (if memory serves), clicking the Dock icon when an application had both collapsed and uncollapsed windows would bring the application to the foreground, but the collapsed windows would remain behind. The goal of the change was to replicate default behavior as close as possible. That is, when you click the dock icon of an application, ALL of the windows in that app should be brought to the foreground. Apparently I overlooked a single-click creating a window when there are no open windows.

I believe I had at least a handful of users complain that a new window was created when clicking on the dock icon. I thought I replicated default behavior pretty closely, so I will review it in fine detail using your notes and I will review exactly the default behavior without WindowMizer running.

I think another user has posted regarding the same issue here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25#p51. I have your direct email flagged, so as I review the dock click behavior I will contact you directly if that's okay.

I will start working on the issue asap.

Good stuff

Re: New Doc behavior with WM4.4

Post by Good stuff »

Another changed behavior: with Postbox 3, the first time I windowshade a window, the window gets resized to full screen width and gets windowshaded. After I restore the window and resize to what I wanted, subsequent windowshades do as always—just windowshade to whatever the window's current width was. All of the changes I've reported happen with 10.10.5 and 10.9.5.

It's always been the case that Safari behaved oddly: windowshading causes the active window to resize to whatever the currently viewed web page's width is (I usually use narrower windows), but the Postbox behavior is new.

I've reverted to 4.3.1 and will look forward to the next update. Thanks for all your work!