Problem with "foreign app shortcuts" in 4.4

Discuss problems, bugs or feature requests for WindowMizer version 4.x.
FullScore

Problem with "foreign app shortcuts" in 4.4

Post by FullScore »

Excellent product, until 4.4.

I've also had the installation problem mentioned elsewhere, but using the patch appeared to fix it. However, I now receive the notification "Foreign app shortcuts cannot be used from a minimized window. Restore the window and try again" when I'm using built-in, keyboard shortcuts in other apps.

This was never a problem before 4.4. Could someone please explain what this "foreign app" error means, e.g. using MoneyDance, Cmd-D opens a mini-window allowing me to enter my download password - now it doesn't work and brings up the WindowMixer notification.

rgbworld
Site Admin

Re: Problem with "foreign app shortcuts" in 4.4

Post by rgbworld »

@ Fullscore The issues is resolved in 4.4.1

The reason for the alert was that I was attempting to prevent the use of another applications shortcuts from a WindowMizer window. I decided to remove the tap and hope that users will simply understand not to use another applications keyboard shortcuts when a collapsed window is the "active" window.

There is a more thorough explanation in the WindowMizer Help book on the Preferences > Advanced page. Again, the interfering tap has been removed along with another event tap that was causing issues when clicking on an application icon in the dock.

FYI "foreign app" just means that it is not WindowMizer. It is possible (when Cycling through windows with command+`) for a WindowMizer window to appear to be the active window when the "real" or "foreign" application's menu bar is showing. At that moment, a user can access the Menu and shortcuts in that app even though they shouldn't. So, that event tap was an ill-fated attempt to prevent such use. Now users are trusted to "not do that".

Sorry that some of these issues are somewhat convoluted, but they arise I have do my best to deal with them. Hopefully with v 4.4.1 things are back to normal for everyone except those using more than 2 displays (that fix is coming soon).

Thank you