Message / Chat Programs Not working

Discuss problems, bugs or feature requests for WindowMizer version 5.x.
sduttonusa

Message / Chat Programs Not working

Post by sduttonusa »

Just upgraded to WindowMizer 5. There's an issue with Apple's Messages, along with Free Chat for Messenger and Free Chat (What's App). Even though I've chosen "System Event Tap" for all three, double-clicking on the title bar will first expand the window to full page (along with zipping up the window). Double-clicking again will open it full screen. Double-clicking a third time it will bring it back to the normal size and collapse the window. So it takes three double-clicks to make it work properly.

rgbworld
Site Admin

Re: Message / Chat Programs Not working

Post by rgbworld »

I know I fixed Messages.app, but I wasn't able to download Free Chat or What's App from the app store. When I clicked install button, it does nothing.

Did version 5.0.1 fix Free Chat as well?

Thanks,
Chris

sduttonusa

Post by sduttonusa »

Free Chat for FaceBook Messenger still expands to full screen (I'm using the latest version of WM) when double-clicking. Free Chat (this is for What's App) will work occasionally, but will at times behave like Free Chat for FaceBook Messenger.

rgbworld
Site Admin

Post by rgbworld »

FreeChat.app for WhatsApp.app should work as of WindowMizer version 5.0.5.

After installing the WindowMizer 5.0.5 update, follow these steps to configure FreeChat.app

1) Go to WindowMizer Preferences > Applications.
2) Click the `+` button to add an app to the list.
3) Select FreeChat.app
4) Change "Title bar double-click Handling" to: "System Event Tap".

This technique can be tried for any application that zooms windows instead of window-shading them. The `System Event Tap` is a lower-level technique of intercepting title bar double-clicks. So for any app that is uncooperative, this is always a good first-attempt to force an application to cooperate.

Please confirm if this fixes the issue. You should be able to do the same with Free Chat for Messenger.

Thank you,
Chris

sduttonusa

Post by sduttonusa »

Thanks for the reply. I've been using System Event Tap from the beginning with both apps. In version 5.05, FreeChat.app works more times than not, but will occasionally not work properly. Free Chat for Messenger doesn't work.

sduttonusa

Post by sduttonusa »

I just downloaded the latest update (6/21) . . . Free Chat for What's App no longer works. Once again, Free Chat for What's App and Free Chat for Messenger expand to full screen when double-clicking.

rgbworld
Site Admin

Post by rgbworld »

I am unable to reproduce the issue in FreeChat for WhatsApp as of WindowMizer version 5.0.5. I suggest updating to WindowMizer 5.0.6 to gain those improvements as well.

Regarding the issue with FreeChat, please try this:
  • Ensure that "Double-click a window's title bar to minimimize/zoom" is disabled in System Prefernces > Dock panel.
    If the window still zooms with that setting turned off, then FreeChat is not honoring the System setting.
  • In WindowMizer Preferences > Minimize > Window Options, check the box next to "Disable window resizing". This should prevent double-clicks in the top row of pixels from zooming the window. This is a good test to try.
A few notes that may also help:
  • Double-clicking the very top-row of the title bar - the top 1 pixel (when the cursor becomes a resize cursor) will zoom the window if the app does not honor the System setting to not minimize/zoom on double-click.
  • The hot-spot is the top 22 pixels of the window (i,e, title bar height). Double-clicking below the hot-spot is also zooming windows in FreeChat. This can be remedied by adding FreeChat to WindowMizer's app-specific preferences panel and adjusting the title bar height. If the window does zoom, you can un-zoom it by double-clicking below the hot-spot again - in the same place that was double-clicked that caused a zoom to occur.
I have attached a screen-grab and a short video showing FreeChat working. I have not yet tested FreeChat for Messenger, but the suggested remedies may apply there as well.

And here is a video that shows what happens when double-clicking in various places within the FreeChat window. Double-clicking in the hot-spot always works as expected on my 3 test systems. If anyone else uses FreeChat and can confirm or refute my results, it would be appreciated.

https://www.rgbworld.com/images/posts/whatsapp.m4v

Let me know if these details help resolve the issue.

Thank you,
Chris

sduttonusa

Post by sduttonusa »

Free Chat for What's App seems to work consistently now, but Free Chat for Messenger is still expanding to full screen . . . thank you for all your efforts to correct this!

rgbworld
Site Admin

Post by rgbworld »

No problem. Thank you for reporting the issue. I can't fix it until I know it's broken :D

I will look into Messenger as well. I'm spinning a lot of plates right now, but I'll fix it as soon as I can.

Chris

MJC

Trying System Tap for BBEdit 12 and Transmit 5.5

Post by MJC »

I'm going to try System Tap setting for BBEdit 12 and Transmit 5.51 too, as they're the pair that are locking my system out the most after a while, that need Hard Quit and relaunched to get into the Finder again.
MJC